Monday 17 March 2014

17 March - Longing for greatness

Readings:
Rom 4
Gen 12:1-9

I wonder if, deep inside, we all have longings for greatness? Not in the being-a-celebrity-with-no-cellulite sense of the word, but more by way of leaving an indelible mark upon the world. The world should know and feel that "jan was here!". Egotistical? Perhaps. What are the alternatives: Longing for mediocrity? Longing for obscurity? (An attractive option at times). Longing to just be left alone? (A very attractive option too much of the time). Not longing at all? (Then you're in the wrong religion - try Buddhism). Psalm 112 asserts that a righteous man will be remembered forever and that his righteousness will last forever.

The problem with attaining greatness is of course that some greatness is required in order to attain it. I don't know about you, but I've kind of given up on aspirations of getting a Nobel Prize, finding a new continent or ending a world war through my military prowess. Is there any greatness in me, or am I doomed to live my life - like so many do - with a pervasive sense of not-quite-making-the-grade? For those among us with spiritual aspirations, the Bible heroes do not make things easier. A friend of mine speaks of Joseph, David and Daniel as "the superstars". What makes someone a superstar is that there's no-one else like them. That's me right there, unfortunately. I'm not like them. Neither am I anything like the many other historical figures I look up to. But I may have found a loophole. Abraham.

It's been a while since I read the whole story of Abraham beginning to end. From what I remember though, he was a pretty normal guy. When he left Haran at the age of 75 in response to God's call he was fairly wealthy. That means that he was probably at least reasonably talented, intelligent, conscientious and entrepreneurial. His business acumen is not however what made him great. The Bible highlights one, but I can suggest two qualities that account for his legacy:

Firstly, though financially he did well in Haran, I'm sure that Abraham was uneasy with the local religion of his people, just like the magi in Elliot's poem who, after seeing Jesus:

We returned to our places, these Kingdoms,
But no longer at ease here, in the old dispensation,
With an alien people clutching their gods.

In a world saturated with idolatry Abraham already clung to the real God, and he knew that what was around him wasn't real. He was not cool with it. When God called, he was ready to go.

The more orthodox fact about Abraham is that he had great faith. He still believed when the window within which God could come through had already closed. To do that makes a hefty demand upon the rational soul, but not an unattainable one.

Abraham was the original pilgrim, in the world but not at home in it, wealthy but not owned by his wealth, following his God out of a sea of gods. God doesn't ask us anymore to sacrifice our only sons, thank goodness, but He does ask us to trust him against the odds, and in variance with the prevailing wisdom. I can never be like Joseph and Daniel, but perhaps I can be a bit like Abraham ..?

2 comments:

  1. I want to be great , for His sake. I want my Father to be proud of His daughter. Have Him smile at His works in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I think we want to be great because He is great. We were made to be (and to want to be) something like him weren't we?

    ReplyDelete