Tuesday 11 March 2014

11 March - Broken on the stone

Reading:
Isa 55

I've been wondering about Maslow's pyramid since 1992 when I encountered it for the first time in Psychology 101. Basically it scales our human needs in an ascending order, understanding that the lower needs need to be satisfied before we would aspire to the highest. No-one would for instance be concerned

about their personal status (esteem needs)  if they can't breathe (basic needs). The top of the pyramid, in other words, represents the highest human aspiration or need: self-actualisation - the ultimate luxury.  As a Christian, that is quite a hard thought for me. It just doesn't feel right. Isn't the Christian life self sacrificial rather than self actualising? Just like Jesus? But this is a self defeating argument, because if you aspire to deny yourself, and you succeed, you fulfilled your aspiration and in doing that actualised yourself. You'll have to start all over again. Furthermore, as a Christian, I have very definitive higher order aspirations. I want to become more Christ-like. I want to overcome the sins I habitually battle with. (They're all very minor off course). So I've been going around Maslow's bush for the last 22 years. (Occasionally, in case someone thinks I'm a complete compulsive nut of sorts).

David is famously referred to in the Bible as a man after God's own heart (Acts 13:22) - quite an accolade, to put it mildly. We all know of David's dubious reputation (adulterer, murderer, serial polygamist, terrible father etc), but also of his bravery and passion. We know that he loved God, but so did many other Old Testament characters. So why is David singled out? We cannot know of course, but we are all free to guess, so here's mine: Consider Jesus' tale of the Pharisee and the tax collector going to their prayer meeting. The guy who had his life together, who approached a degree of success in becoming the kind of person he wanted to be (more Christ-like, in our terms), failed to please God. The one who was still a rat and knew it was approved. The older brother who did his best all his years and never dragged on a stompie behind the tree was dismissed; the ruinous, squandering, drug addicted, prostituting one was approved, not for what he did, but for recognising his condition. Where does this leave us? Becoming a better person seems to be a hazardous activity. Perhaps I'll be thinking about old Masow's pyramid for another 22 years.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart,
O God, you will not despise.
Psalm 51:17
He who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces, 
but he on whom it falls will be crushed.
Matthew 21:44



2 comments:

  1. This is NOT in response to your blog Jan, but as an add on. Trust you enjoy this reflection by Bonnie Thurston as it says what I feel today.
    "I am by nature an out-of-door sort of woman, a walker, a gardener. But today sitting by the window in comfortable chair, watching wind make white dogwood dance with blue spruce, seeing petals from an ornamental tree fall like pink confetti relishing every movement of springs emerald symphony, I realize I am content to be inside looking out, know I can only live this interior life,wonder how deep the taproot of my heart is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same. In the scene I would probably look at the scene she describes every now and then as I look up from my book, and I would be sipping coffee. And I would hope my heart is taproot-like.

    ReplyDelete